Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Christmas cheer and Happy New Year!





In my earlier post I talked about how it didn't feel like Christmas this year, but I still had a great one. We had one of the best turkey's I've had in ages and the stuffing my sister made was to die for (it had rice and turkey sausage in it). For once I didn't overeat as I wanted to make room for dessert. We had something a little different this year...mincemeat pie that had a mousse like consistency and it was a nice compliment to the meal (pictured above). Every year we put up our wee little tree by the window so people outside can get a glimpse inside our world. The story of how I got this tree is interesting. A few years back while walking up to our local mall I saw this exact tree in someone's window. This couple lived a street over from me and the man was always outside his house sweeping up and tidying his garden (which was always meticulous) and planting cool flowers in the street pots outside his house. So one day I asked him about the tree and he mentioned his daughter made them. Right then and there I ordered this one (pictured above) and got it a few days later. It's been a part of our Christmas tradition ever since. This couple moved away a few years ago so I'm quite happy I got it when I did. I've since studied it to death and last year tried to make one and was almost successful (I have all the lights and garland but it turns out you have to have the exact size hangers) but I'll have to tackle it another time.


New Years was a lovely relaxed affair and we had Chinese food which included chicken balls and spring rolls and of course I watched all the New Years eve festivities on TV: Dick Clark/Ryan Seacrest's ball drop (saw Christina Aguilera sing one of her new songs), the city TV one(Keisha Chante was one of their guests and looked cold), the big one in Ottawa which had "Foreigner" perform (they were really good but it was pouring rain but people were still celebrating), saw a peek of the space needle show and also the one on Fox. I like to flip around in case one gets boring, but my favourite has always been watching the ball drop in Times Square. One year I hope to be there in person to see it drop. We watched "Nurse Betty" with Renee Zellweiger, it's an old flick. It would have been really good without the Morgan Freeman and Chris Rock bit where they kept arguing and swearing. It had some cute moments in it.

For New Years Day we had a Thai meal with jumbo shrimp, with a lemongrass infusion on a bed of noodles. Oh it was good. We watched "Supersize Me" right after that as it was on TV and I don't think I ever want to eat at McDonald's again. It was very educational and informative and I learned a lot about fast food.

So I want to say to everyone in blogger land. HAPPY NEW YEAR FILLED WITH ENDLESS POSSIBILIIES!

Welcome to 2007! S. out

2 comments:

Rachel H. said...

YAY ! a new post, very good. The tree story is a good one. I love Christmas traditions.

Kirsten B. said...

Hi! Happy New Year to you and your household!
Mmmm all your holiday foods sound and look scruptious! And that tree IS so very cute!