Wednesday, January 24, 2007

PC Computer Spells Disaster...

My page has a new look and I've been experimenting with backgrounds. I'm sure it will change again in the future.

New free computer equals lots of problems. So my sister brings home this PC computer from her work (it's old, a Panasonic PanasSync SL70i, photo above except ours is beige) since she got a new one. I thought I would plug it in and then add an ethernet cable to my router and it would all work fine. Not the case, my sister and I sit and try to configure it all different ways and get tired. I call our local service provider and I'm on the phone with the guy for about 20 minutes. He isn't sure what is wrong by recommends we unplug and plug back in the router and the DSL/Cable modem (well I had done that but not in the order my router states). I do that and also go through all the steps my router recommends by plugging cords in a certain order. I do this not once but several times, reboot the PC and still no internet. Exasperated I call the internet guy again and hope he can help me out. After what seems like an eternity (think it was an hour or more) he thinks it's a router problem and the PC isn't recognizing the router, (well the router has been repaired so I'm praying that isn't the case). I explain this was a government computer and that it is LAN configured and then was configured for the university she works at. My idea is we configure the IP and Subnet Mask etc., but he isn't sure. Finally he comes to the conclusion it is the network card (this is something I could not have figured out myself). So he takes me through the steps of deleting it all and then mentions that if this doesn't work I may have to install the driver. He asks if I have a PC card disk thingy. I sound clueless and he says it is a disk the size my thumb and if I don't have one I will have to get the driver from my iMac online and then burn it on my Mac and then install on the PC (well I'm wondering where I even look for this thing online but figure I'll grill him with more questions if it comes to that).


I reboot the PC after what seems like the millionth time and guess what the internet finally works. Yippee Yi Yo Cotton Eyed Joe. So that was my adventure for today. Now I am PCized. Now we just have to figure out how to configure out e-mail with this computer. Hopefully that will be easier to figure out.

S. is out

3 comments:

Kirsten B. said...

Oh my dearie me! Wow oh wow! what a time you've had. I know how frustrating PCs can be, especially trying to network! I REALLY like your new colours and background!! Way ta go, my friend!!
Soooo...whe I move in...waffle party? My new place? Did I hear mention of a new Belgian waffle iron/maker-thingy?!? Yay! We totally will!

Smile said...

Congrats on figuring that out. Sorry it was such a headache to set up. A PC, eh? Have fun. Hope you never get the "blue screen of death". I've gotten it a few times at my old office. Thank God, it has never happened at home.

FooFooBerry said...

Kirsten and Smile,

Thanks for the comments on the page. I'm happy I figured it out as I thought I never would and went to so many sites to learn. Still can't figure out how to make all those free blogspot templates work on here though without reverting to classic template. Hopefully I'll figure that out too in time. Think I need to get an HTML book out of the library (my sister found a good one awhile ago).

It's weird but the last two years I was on a PC just for internet at school but now that I have one at home it seems so foreign to navigate. My whole life I've been a Mac person (well at home, don't always get that luxury at work). I keep asking my sister to help me do simple stuff on a PC because the setup is just different.

No biggy if it dies on me since it was free. I did try a PC game disk on it last night though and it froze so I took the disk out and turned it off and on again and haven't tried the disk yet. It is only like 333 MHz and has very little hard drive space so I can't store too much on there. There are some fractal programs though I've been wanting to try so that will be neat. Still looking for a great Mac one.

S.