Monday, September 25, 2006

The sighting of the cougar 9/6, 7:44pm

Photo provided by Yahoo Images Jumping_Cougar_1024.jpg (This image may be subject to copyright)

The most horrific thing happened while I was at camp and I thought of it again today. We had heard there were cougars at camp and it was always in the back of my mind. So one night we were playing a wide game in the pitch darkness. Only the leaders were allowed to have lights to catch the campers. So I headed towards the campers and I said: "busted" to the campers who just froze. There were about 8 of them. They all left and I was staring ahead at the bathrooms which are near the cabins and I saw it run like lightning. I just stood there and realized I had seen the cougar head just behind the bathrooms.

I asked if there were animals on the grounds and someone said it was the camp dog. Deciding to tell another staff member who then reported to the deans, my suspicions were confirmed that the camp dog was locked up at night. As I head to the bathrooms with my girls one of the deans tells us there is a lock down and no one can leave the cabins until everyone is accounted for.

They finally tell us we can go back to the bathroom and by this time I'm freaked out. As usual I and other campers had to go a ffew times during the night. At 5a.m. we go out (me and another camper) and head to the loo. The campers didn't know that a cougar was spotted so I say nothing to the camper as we head out. Meanwhile I'm nervous. As we are in the bathroom washing our hands we hear a low growl. We both pause and I ask: "what was that?" The camper looks at me scared and says: "why?" I say: "no reason." All the while I knew it was the cougar. I told her we should wait a few minutes. Then we poked our head out and stood near the wall to see if we could see anything. We went back into the bathroom and waited a few more minutes. I just said a prayer as we headed back to the cabin hoping we wouldn't get gobbled up.

I was leaving later that night and boy was I glad to not be sleeping near the cougar.

Peace out,

S.

No comments: