Thursday, November 02, 2006

Computer Technology Madness, I'm loving it

All pictues from Yahoo images.
This is the model I own.
A cool shot even though I don't
own this exact model. (Other photos L to R: my PowerbookPC with logo, itunes logo, another shot of my powerbook)













I've been going crazy lately with all the technology. I own a PowerbookPC G4, and a older iMac Ruby DV G3. So I've been on Apple sites asking for so much help lately.

Figured out a few weeks ago how to burn a DVD using Disc Utility and creating and image, then burning on CD's using itunes, and figured out why my computer wasn't taking cheap CD-R's after hours of using 3 different ones. I solved that problem and am able to use that brand. In case you want to know why they wouldn't work. Well after testing them out and asking for ideas. I know think they had been written on (in that when I had tried them over and over again in the drive in the past and the other day, possibly they got burned on a bit and the burner couldn't read them).

Someone suggested I bring my old computer back to life so I'm working on that too. Two nights ago I took my old iMac and it was on an operating system of OS9.0.4 and with help from a computer whiz I found where to update it to OS 9.1, then OS 9.2.1, then OS 9.2.2, then installed a firmware update, and today I hope to get it up to OS X 10.4.8. It is so exciting and frustrating learning all this. I know feel pretty confident in the blog world as well and hope to eventually design my own template for my page.

Loving life,

S. Peace out!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well Finaly a blog entry I can relate too. Haza for you Foo foo..

FooFooBerry said...

Well after updating my OS system and then hooking it up to my e-mail account after it crashed ages ago. I went and dumped the Netscape Communicator Folder inside the applications trying to free up memory and thinking I didn't need it.

So guess what the internet no longer worked and neither did the e-mail and I bunged up Caron's internet somehow. Her's finally started working again but my older iMac didn't. This morning after practically pulling my hair out I loaded the Restore CD that came with my Mac (which did nothing since the folder didn't come back). Then the CD wouldn't come out, I got it out eventually. Then I load the OS 9 install on there a couple of times and still see that folder is not there. I kept praying and using a Dummie for Mac book that is really old and outdated but works somewhat for the older iMac. The CD Install disk was locked and I never figured out how to open it so I gave up and ejected the disc and thought there has to be a way to figure this out. Visions of dollar signs dancing in my head I pushed on (thinking I would have to call an expert and it would cost a lot).

Saw something in the book about restoring something you have accidently trashed and uplugged the computer and turned it on and the trash was full again. Guess what? That file was not in there as I'd been on this thing a few times since. Some airport assistant was on there and some other computer setup or something or other. Having no clue if this was relevant I dumped it into the HD icon.

Then I went back into the applications folder and thought where else can I look and I saw an internet folder. I went in there and saw the Netscape Communicator Icon but no folder. I clicked it on and it asked me a bunch of questions about Subnet Mask, yadda yadda stuff. Thank goodness I had written this stuff down when I called Islandnet yesterday to hook it back to e-mail and I went to Caron's computer's to get the other numbers.

Then all of the sudden, get ready for it, the Hallelujah chorus sounded and my internet worked again and with some more tinkering so did the e-mail again. Then I found the Netscape Communicator Folder again with the internet stuff.

Now it's on to getting this puppy up to the lastest one. I'm told by the Apple discussion groups I need more memory and I want a DVD burner but I may just do what I can and then send stuff to my sister's computer to burn.

Anonymous said...

Quite a harrowing tale but now doesn't it feel good to have done it on your own? and I don't know about you but I remember things i figured out way longer then stuff someone told me.